The logistics sector is one of the Estonian economy drivers and it is closely related to the development of many other areas.The activities of the partners of the cluster have a major impact on the entire sector and on the Estonian economy as a whole.
Estonian Logistics Cluster project commences in June 2010 and will last until December 2012.
The initiator of the Logistics Cluster is the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications and the Logistics Cluster is 70% financed by EU Regional Development Fund.
The project comprises 5 action plans:
- Joint marketing
- Product development
- Communication in Estonia and within the sector
- ICT development
- Development of professional and higher education
The activities of the Cluster make a whole and are necessary for achieving the objectives:
- Joint marketing action plan – export growth
- Production capacity sharing action plan – competitiveness and new competitive advantages
- Communication action plan – shared understanding
- Information technology action plan – innovation, key technologies
- Education development action plan – new jobs.
Programme in 2009
2009 is a year of economy crisis in Estonia as well as it is internationally. International economy cirsis, Estonian domestic economy downfall and troubles with budgeting give definitely hard effect on ports enterprise. National structures are in budgeting stress, which aggravate innovative economy related decisions. Every step in maritime politics is accurately measured.
Therefore, Estonian Ports Association is established to engage constructive dialogues with state institutions, to take initiative and bring out innovative ideas to enliven cooperation with related organisations. According to current situation Estonian Ports Association made programme for 2009:
- Preparing ports law project has taken a long time and got quite a political coloration. It is even more deepening because of state budget deficit. For instance, The Parliament of Estonia has increased ports construction charges for about 500 (five hundred) times. After some second opinion effort these charges were brought to reasonable scale. Though, a chapter was deleted at once, that controls seafloor usability in ports construction works. Other proposals by Estonian Ports Association were partially ignored because of additional state costs. Therefore, our aim in 2009 is to continue negotiations with institutions to amend port laws in positive course and show lively participation in preparing further ordinances.
- In the end of 2008, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications started with maritime politics document preparation. It took place exactly at the moment innovative ideas and proposals were needed. Unfortunately, after this preparation opening ceremony all further action stopped. Therefore, Estonian Ports Association must take action and and initiate further proposals.
- Continuing with changes in eplyment law. Especially in working time provision section. Adequate proposals are already introduced to Ministry of Social Affairs and Estonian Employers Confederation. Our starting points correspond to European directives.
- Associations-wide cooperation development is essential. Currently there are good relationships with Estonian Employers Confederation and Estonian Chamber of Commerce and Industy. As well as with logistics and port operators, ship holders and transit associations. We have number of related problems and it is always more productive to share intrests with multiple partys.
- Completing Transport Programme for 2007-2013 is essential, especially in current economic climate. This can be complemented within transit committee and also in process of preparing maritime politics.
- In 2009 TRANSESTONIA conference concentrates in economic crisis subjects. Though, there are also good news. Amendments to container cargo transportations is being promoted. On May 11, Estonian Ports Association delivers it’s ideas in this conference.
- Continue cooperation with local governments. Cooperation with Tallinn maritime committee is even more important.
- Experiences from neighbouring countries are beneficial. It is good to declare that right now we have good relationships with Helsinki and Vuosaari ports.
- Appearance in media was quite modest in 2008. Reason lyes in medias common critical attitude which might have had a negative effect to Muuga port constructions that was financed with European Union budgets. In 2009 having more media appearance should be considered.
- General meeting in 2007 decided that Estonian Ports Association members should be arranged once in every three months. This decision is being followed. In the beginning of 2009 association members gathered during information day in Kalvi manor house. There have been discussions with Estonian Maritime Administration about next meeting.
- Continues cooperation with Estonian Employees Confederation, Transit Committee, Estonian Maritime Academy Advisor Assembly, Transport and Logistics occupational board, Tallinn City Government maritime committee. Also with Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications and other ministries work-shops and committees; for instance cooperation with Estonian Maritime Administration’s port captain’s committee.
For certain, there might occur many questions. Activity in Estonian Ports Association has shown that all quieries are dealt at short notice.